Thursday, January 22, 2009

Rail Rendezvous


Call it Luck by Chance if you will……

Recently I attended a friends wedding in Shimla. On my way back after stashing my luggage in the overhead compartment I proceeded to join my Friends in the other compartment Clueless that a recent development in train security was baggage identification by RPF personnel to ensure that no unclaimed baggage was present on the train after departure. Needless to say I came back to face a suspicious Policeman, an irritant TC, many suspicious tourists and a score of angry passengers.

Calming them down was easer said than done. One tour guide in order to impress his group was planning to throw my luggage out from the moving train. Finally after much apology I sank back in my seat resolute not to get off till I reach Delhi.

It was after Chandigarh Station that my luck started to change; I was deeply engrossed in reading a fiction Novel when I heard a voice softly murmuring to me:

Girl: Hi! I am sorry to interrupt your reading but the person sitting next to me appears to be drunk. If there is no one traveling with you, can I sit next to you till Delhi?

Me: Sure! Is he being rude to you? If he is I can take care of it. 

Girl: No he is just annoying me… I don’t think it’s worth it. I just want to get to home in Peace & Quite. Thanks!!!

She sits down besides me & I being forewarned that a chit-chat is not what she wanted kept my eyes glued to my book.

Suddenly about 5 minutes later, I hear a shrill laugh.

I realize that she has read the title of my book and now has an insight into my mental level. She had approached me because in the first look I seemed to be a sincere & stable chap but now she had her doubts after seeing what I was reading – a book titled “Of course I love you, till I find someone better”.

Girl: So how many have you dumped till now?.........

Me: Excuse me???? This is just a travel read not my way of life. I am a very dependable person, beside the fact that I am currently between relationships……

Girl: HA Ha ha…… Like right now you are between me and the Drunk Dude.

Me: Is this any way to treat your Knight in Shining Armor?

Girl: sorry……Sir Knight but these days women do their own Butt–Kicking.  And do I refer to you as Sir Knight or do you actually have a name?

Me: sorry!!! Where are my manners – Hi!!! I am Joy

Girl: *Giggle* and My Name is Sneha

After that the journey was a Pleasure with us conversing like old friends. When Delhi station came we exchanged numbers and parted ways with a promise to keep in touch. And so we have as good friends should……

Have you also met a Good friend in such an unusual way?

12 comments:

aMus said...

interesting encounters...u never know what's gonna on your way...:)

Anonymous said...

cute post.. loved the dialogue :)

Meghna said...

hmm..interesting..

btw,,who's d author of the book?? ;) do let me know...i mite wana read it myself..lolz

yolanda said...

lol. i actually did meet someone who has become a good friend on the train a couple of years ago. and it was all over a book ;)

thank you so much for the post on my blog upkaran. i replied to it tere - you made a good point :)

peace,

yolanda

unforgiven said...

Yeah dude; I met one of my best friends, err, in a Bar :)
My and my buddy were sitting and uh, okay well, singing ghazals (it was a VERY cheap bar in Bangalore, they didn't care), and someone from their group liked our songs, so we started talking. Soon our groups merged and got to know each other.

That has been my most 'weird' meeting of a good friend :)

Shikha Arya said...

dats a cute incident...must say you had an interesting journey :-)

Soul said...

i have had a similar encounter and yes on a train journey. it deserves more merit when you meet meet someone attractive and nice ;)

Upkaran said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Upkaran said...

Firstly let me thank all my readers who take out time to read & comment on my humble Blog. It is Bcos of all of you my day turns out special……… LOL

@ Suma: keep you mind open you never know what might be coming your way too.

@ Prema Sridhar: Thanks Sooooo Much!!!!

@ Meghna: Hey Girl…. the authors of that Book are Durjoy Dutta and Maanvi Ahuja…… Have a good read
Personally I recommend “Almost Single” by Advaita Kala…… it’s a laugh Riot….

@ Yolanda: you can never have enough friends and for a person like you anyone will be blessed to have you as a friend.

@ unforgiven: Good for you Bro…. You connected over such a Guy Thing it reminds me of a song of Amitabh Bachchan from the movie Sharabi – “jaha Char Yaar, Mil Jaya”

@ Shikha: Yep it was an interesting journey in more ways than 1 Girl…… I must say I cannot wait fro my next trip.

@ Soul: being a marketing person I truly believe that the packaging is more important than the product itself. If you look attractive only then will the other person take pains to find out if there is a substance underneath that swab exterior…… First impression often is the last impression…… Ciao……… Joy

Unknown said...

hmmmmmmmm im glad you didnt disclose my identity... i mean can u believe what my friends would have thought if they knew im friends wid an uncle...........lol

Netika Lumb said...

very interesting post.
I wish all those who promise to be in touch, actually be in touch.
grim as this may sound, but some stories just come to an end, not coz they have to, but coz...coz??? I wish I knew.

edwinpratheeba said...

Cool man!! I enjoyed it!!